Saturday 9 January 2010

Day 1 Hobart to Port Arthur

Date: 06/JAN/2010
Route: Hobart - Richmond - Port Arthur
Distance: 135km
Accident: 0
Puncture: 0
Weather: Cloudy + Drizzle then fine
Accommodation: Port Arthur Caravan Park ($17 / Unpowered Site)

The first ride in Tassie. To avoid the surprisingly busy traffic due to the busiest season, I left Hobart fairly early about 6.30am. It seemed didn't work, there ware already a lot of traffic on the road of Hobart and they are not much in number but really fast. So it eventually took me 1 hour to get out of Hobart.

After the busy Hobart and got into a country road near Richmond, there was hardly any cars. That's was what I was after. That was the time when I felt Tasmania for the first time in terms of cycling.

Historic Bridge - Richmond

Got to a historic town of Richmond and checked out its historic bridge, I headed down to Port Arthur via the main road. As Port Arther is located in a peninsula in a peninsula, there were a lot of hills and good distance as well. I made it to Port Arther about 3 PM.

Pushing my heavy body I went to today's main attraction, Port Arthur. Port Arthur was used to be a massive prison for convicts. Because of its unique location (in a peninsula in a peninsula) which was perfect for building a prison, there was no walls around it at all so it didn't looked like a prison for about 50 years without hearing the history by the guide. Very interesting site.


Massive - Port Artur

After Port Arther, back to the camp site, I met two guys in the same camp area. They were travelling on motorbikes and surprisingly they were from Perth! So we talked a bit over a red wine and hit a hay around 9.00pm.

It was a hard day from the first day, but all good!!

Today's Route

View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so interesting Yohei. Hehe I like the part where you wrote: "Pushing my heavy body..." Hehe can't imagine :) I hope you are safely carrying on cycling according to your plan! Ca't wait for some new updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jana
    Its always good hear from you! It was a long ride for the first day so I was pretty much exhausted. but Port Arthur was awesome!
    Y

    ReplyDelete