Monday 25 January 2010

Day 3 Triabunna to Bicheno

Date: 08/JAN/2010
Route:Triabunna - Swansea - Bicheno
Distance: 99km
Accident: 0
Puncture: 0
Weather: Cloudy
Accommodation: Bicheno East Coast Holiday Park ($10 / Unpowered Site)

I woke up with feeling a need to urinate at 5.30am. Thanks to the feeling, I could have a head start this morning. I left the caravan park at just after 6.00am.

The first half ride for today was supposed to be easy as as there was no hills and very few traffic. But it was not that easy as I got a strong head wind constantly for the first 30km. It was actually pretty hard.

On the way I stopped by a beachfront free campsite, Mayfield Camp Site between Swansea and Triabunna. Although there was no shower facility, it looked like a really nice spot to stay couple of days. (and it's free!)

Apparently, there are a number of free (or very cheap) campsites around Tasmania and they are managed by the state and normally located in a remote area. As cycle tourist its best to have shops near by but these campsites have perfect location to enjoy the nature, so I want to try some during this trip.

After arriving in Swansea, I saw a guy with a bike. It must be a cycle tourist! Yes he was. I was a bit excited as it was my first time to talk other cycle tourist.

We had coffee and had a chat. His name was James from Canada. He was riding from Hobart as he got some time to spare in Australia. What's a nice idea. He was also heading to the north to Bicheno.

As I was heading north but different way, I suggested him a my plan for today, to take a private boat service from the end of Nine Mile Beach to near Coles Bay, which is the closest town to Freycinet National Park, one of Tasmania's most famous National Park with its pristine coastline and walking tracks. In this way, we could save 50km easily and able to see and walk the National Park in the same day. He liked the idea and we decided to take a ferry.

But, that day the ferry was not operating due to the wind. (or due to trublesomeness.. who knows) So the plan wouldn't work as bikes cant cross the sea.

oops, travelling is a full of uncertintity.

So we gave up the National Park and headed Bicheno, another sleepy coastal side holiday town.
The first 25km was flat kind of boring road with few traffic with tail winds. After 25km all the suddent the scenery got into beauftiful forest.


Forrest Opens - A3 HWY

Just before Bicheno I stpped at strawberry farm to have its strawberrry sorbet. It was a great treat.


Strawberry Treat - Strawberry Farm Near Bicheno

Finally I got to Bicheno at 1.15pm. It is always best to get to a day's destiation earlier, because I can look around the area. I went to see the town's attractions such as ragged beaches, blow holes, and a swimming beach. Unfortunately, the weather of the day wasn't perfect to enjoy all these places so it was all right for me. But its always fun to explore new places.

Blow Hole - Bicheno

This night, James and I went to a local restaurant for dinner. Great to have a company for dinner and decent dinner. Had a good night and went to bed fairly late 8.30pm.

Today's Route

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment