Thursday 28 January 2010

Day 6 Lilydale to Deloraine

Date: 11/JAN/2010
Route:Lilydale - Launceston - Perth - Westbury - Deloraine
Distance: 106km
Accident: 0
Puncture: 0
Weather: Fine
Accommodation: Deloraine Caravan Park ($10 / Unpowered)

Today's ride can divided into two parts. From Lilydale to Launceston, and Launceston to Deloraine.

The first half's trend was downhill as Lilydale was on the hillside and Lanceston was almost on the sea level. Easy cruising to Launceston. Civilization! Yes, Launceston is the second largest town in Tasmania. Where civilization where good eateries are. I sat in a cafe in a strip in the town centre and ordered its big breakfast. That was spot on! It came with 2 pieces of thick toast, few slices of well cooked bacon, few pieces of sausages, a well sauteed fresh sliced thick tomato and 2 lightly poached eggs. The sauce was hollander. Just right, mate. Having had eaten only cold food for the past day, this breakfast with a cup of latte was real luxurious moment.


Princess Square - Launceston

After breakfast, I wondered around the town briefly. There were some well maintained Victorian style grass gardens with in the city like Princess Square. There was interesting botanical garden as well. I found the town was quite artistic and made it very pretty. I wanted to check out the wine in this region as well, but unfortunately, the time didn't allow me to do it. So after the brief tour of Launceston, I left this town behind. (I will come back next time!)

Well, back to ride. The second half was pretty flat ish rather boring road as I did rode on very busy and not scenic highway by accident.

On the way I did a bit of detour as I found a interesting town in the south of Launceston. The name of the town was Perth. That where I came from. It was small heritage town. I had a chance to talk to a residence of Perth to ask about the connection or relationship between Perth in WA and Perth in TAS. There was none. None at all. It is always interesting to do a detour.


Welcome back to Perth? - Perth

Anyway, from Perth, I was riding toward west. I was riding on the busy highway (HW1) not knowing there was a nice and quiet side road (B54) just next to the highway. Although there was enough space to ride on the road as there was a reasonably wide shoulder on aside, riding next to bullet-speed trucks and road trains was not very present. The terrain was fairly flat so I was just riding and thinking something else in order to make time pass.

I finally realised the existence of the side road when I got to Westbury which was 16km before today's destination.

I stopped at Westbury for the last break for the today's ride. There was a bakery called Andy's Bakery. I had a pie there. It was very good.
During the break. I had a chat with a man who was the principal of a primary school in Tassie. After telling about my trip, we had a short but good conversation about the issue of the private education in Australia. It needs to be changed, it needs a decent quality control to the education and to the system itself. That was our conclusion. (Anyway, it is a bit out of the track from the topic of this blog so I will write about this issue on my blog when I have time.)


Looks like Window's default background - Between Westbury and Deloraine

Back to the saddle, from Westbury to today's goal, Deloraine was flat short ride. I made it to Deloraine at 3.00pm.


Some sort of art? - Entrance of Deloraine

Deloraine is a pretty riverside town with the population of 5,000. Along the main strip there were quiet boutique restaurants and cafes. I really liked this town because this nice cafe feeling with beautiful river, which was swimmable, and the town had a full of bits and pieces of arts everywhere in town. The people seemed very friendly (very used to looking after tourists in a good way) as well.


Beautiful Swimmable River (view from my tent) - Deloraine

I pitched my tent in the caravan park, which was right next to the river. Of course I swam in the river as it was particularly hot day for Tasmaia (probably over 30 c). I met another cycle tourist at this camp site. His name was Mikko from Philippines. He just arrived in Tasmania from Melbourne by ship, Spirit of Tasmania and rode to Deloraine (49km). We had dinner at on the main street's snack bar, then, bought some beer (Boag's Draft, Launceston's Premium Beer) at the bottle shop, walked back to the campsite and had a small party right front of the river with many ducks.

It was a good night. Everything was just right.

Today's Route

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment